A former federal election official says the FBI's affidavit justifying last month's Fulton County raid misrepresented basic election facts, despite the agency's claims having already been investigated and debunked by Georgia officials. 

Listen to this article

0:00

Learn more. This feature uses an automated voice, which may result in occasional errors in pronunciation, tone, or sentiment.

Ballots are tabulated on election night at the Fulton County Elections Hub and Operation Center on November 5, 2024 in Fairburn, Georgia. (Photo by Megan Varner/Getty Images)

A former federal official who tested and certified voting machines used in Fulton County, Georgia for the 2020 presidential election told a court that the federal government misrepresented key facts and omitted exculpatory public evidence while seeking a warrant in last month’s law enforcement raid.

The raid, carried out by the FBI and overseen by Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, saw agents seize ballots and other documentation from the Fulton County election offices. A public affidavit cited five core allegations related to the county’s recordkeeping, electronic ballot image storage,  and election night reporting. Authorities allege these issues point to a potential conspiracy to intentionally manipulate the vote count in favor of Democrat Joe Biden.

Fulton County officials sued the federal government in response, arguing that the affidavit used to obtain a warrant for the raid “does not identify facts that establish probable cause that anyone committed a crime.”

Another filing includes sworn testimony from Ryan Macias, an elections expert who tested and certified the county’s voting machines while at the Election Assistance Commission. In his testimony, Macias told the court that the government’s key claims have already been investigated and have been found to be baseless.  

He said the FBI’s “many individual omissions and misstatements” in its affidavit reflect “gross mischaracterizations” of how elections work and directly contradict the conclusions of multiple prior investigations into the Nov. 2020 election in Fulton County.

“Once the statements and omissions in the Affidavit are corrected and based on my experience administering elections, the Affidavit does not have a substantial basis in reality,” Macias stated.

For instance, the FBI’s affidavit cites the absence of scanned images of all 527,925 ballots for the original count and recount. But Macias, who served as an adviser to Fulton County and witnessed pre and post-election operations in 2020, said this was standard practice.  Jurisdictions typically send only the vote count records from their machines on election night, because ballot images and audit logs are much larger files that can slow down the reporting process.

Macias also notes that the FBI affidavit omits that this issue was already investigated by Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who found Georgia election workers weren’t required by law to preserve such images until a state law passed in 2021.

An investigator from Raffensperger’s office later told the Board of Elections that “it was “important to note that ballots can be scanned and tabulated without capturing ballot images,” while general counsel Charlene McGowan testified that ballot images play no role in the vote tabulation process and Fulton County’s paper ballots – counted three times – were the “most important” documents to verify the count.

“These explanations about the storing of ballot images have been publicly available for some time,” Macias noted.

Similarly, the FBI cites instances where some Fulton County ballots were scanned multiple times, claiming it shows evidence of “an intentional tabulation of ballots in a false matter” to make the recount and original vote counts match. The bureau also pointed to small, non-determinative differences between the county’s machine recount and totals from a hand-counted risk-limiting audit.

But the federal government again failed to mention in its petition for a warrant that these claims were “exhaustively” investigated by the Secretary of State’s office, which found the errors were benign, the duplicates weren’t counted, and did not impact the final vote count in the state’s count of the 2020 presidential contest.

According to Macias, the government’s affidavit also contains errors about basic facts about Fulton County’s reporting process. This includes misreporting the correct official vote count and the date and time it was transmitted to state officials for tabulation.

More Scoops

Ballots arrive at the Fulton County Elections Hub and Operation Center on election night on November 5, 2024 in Fairburn, Georgia. The FBI carried out a raid on the Fulton County election offices (Photo by Megan Varner/Getty Images)

Lawmakers, election officials blast Trump administration after Fulton County raid 

State election officials pressed White House officials for their legal rationale and expressed concern about the impact of similar raids tied to the 2026 elections.

WASHINGTON, DC – NOVEMBER 19: Attorney General Pam Bondi, accompanied by Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche (L) and FBI Director Kash Patel (R), speaks during a news conference at the Justice Department on November 19, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Department of Justice is suing Fulton County, Georgia and its election clerk over the county’s refusal to hand over voter records, part of a larger nationwide project to collect as much election and voter information as possible from state and local governments ahead of the 2026 and 2028 elections. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

DOJ sues Fulton County over 2020 voter data 

DOYLESTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA – OCTOBER 29: Election equipment and supplies that will be distributed to polling locations in Bucks County are seen at a warehouse on October 29, 2024 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. According to Deputy Director of Communications for Bucks County Jim O’Malley, county employees work with a shipping vendor over several days to move supplies and equipment in place at Bucks County’s 304 voting precincts where the supplies remain locked until accessed by poll workers on Election Day. (Photo by Hannah Beier/Getty Images)

Trump threatens executive order on elections, claims states must obey

Latest Podcasts